Ohio University – 2018
I scaled a research image to full size and copied it out and then traced it onto laid up blue foam. I decided to cut each tentacle out separately for the most part, and shape them separately before putting them back together. This I did with a hot knife for the most part, and then finished with a snap knife. The tentacles began to get very fragile towards the end. I carved and attached the head and then burned the designs in with a wood burning tool. Afterward I coated the entire piece in epoxy resin before dremeling out the detail and spray painting the octopus red. I then sponged gold contrast onto the piece and painted the details black.
The mounting panel is cherry, biscuit joined together and then cut into an oval. I routed the edges before sealing the piece with polyurethane. The finished sculpture I attached with two steel rods driven through the body of the octopus and through the wood panel and epoxied in place.
Labor Hours: 16